<iframe src="https://www.milton.ca//www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-5D9QDS" height="0" width="0">

Town of Milton Burn Permits

Open air burning is legal in the Town of Milton (Ontario, Canada), provided you follow the rules outlined in the Open Air Burning By-law and obtain a Burn Permit.  A permit is valid for from January 1 to December 31.  All open fires, including backyard chimineas and outdoor fireplaces, require a valid burn permit.

Open Air Burning Safety

The Milton Fire Department created the following short video to provide you with a quick and easy way to get all the information you need to know about open air burning, including the hazards and concerns. We strongly encourage all residents to take a few minutes to watch the video and learn about the by-law and what you can do to protect your homes and families.

Open Air Burning By-Law

Open air burning is legal in the Town of Milton (Ontario, Canada), provided you follow the rules outlined in the Open Air Burning By-law:

Section 7.1 of the Fire Protection and Prevention Act, 1997, S.O. 1997, c. 4, (See Fire Protection and Prevention Act) provides that a municipality may pass a by-law to regulate fire prevention and the setting of open air fires, including establishing the times during which open air fires may be set and the precautions to be observed by persons setting such fires.

Requirements for Renters

If you don't own your property: You need to get written permission to burn from the property owner. The property owner must fill out and sign this form:

Property Owner's Permission to Burn Release & Indemnification form

Submit the completed form as follows:

Fax (905) 878 5914
Email: Fireservices
Mail: 610 Savoline Blvd., Milton, L9T 0N3 

Types of Permits

Each property only requires one Open Air Burning Permit:

  • Outdoor Fire Container (includes chimineas and outdoor fireplaces)
  • Brush Fire (larger fires that need more safety clearance)
  • Agricultural Lands (burning fields for crop maintenance)

If you meet the requirements to have an Agricultural Lands Permit, you do not need a Brush Fire Permit. If you meet the requirements to have a Brush Fire Permit you do not need an Outdoor Fire Container Permit. If you provide an email address, your permit will be emailed to you; otherwise, your permit will be sent to you by regular mail. 

Payment Information


The cost of a permit is $50 and is non-refundable.


  • To pay by VISA or MASTERCARD, apply and make your payment online.
  • To pay with cash, cheque or debit, complete your application online and then pay in-person at:

Milton Fire Station #3,
610 Savoline Blvd., Milton
Monday to Friday, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm 

Apply for a Burn Permit

Before you apply, please review the information on this page about permits, watch the safety video and read the by-law to understand specific restrictions to open air burning that may disqualify you from obtaining a permit. We will not refund the cost of a declined application.

Apply OnlineApply for a Burn Permit

Note: using a cell phone or tablet is not recommended

Questions or Concerns?

If you have a question, complaint or concern regarding open air burning, please contact our Fire Prevention Division at 905-878-9251, during regular business hours.